Dealing with the past encompasses broad spectrum of activities related to past violations of human rights, and in some cases reconstruction of some roots of the war. Wars that took place in our and neighboring countries have left a lot of wounds and damages. This fact tells us how important truth, inspecting facts and reaching of justice are for the establishment of the future.
The principles of facing the past that UDIK uses are the following:
Culture of Remembrance – memorization and visit of places of mass executions.
Education and facing the past – through films, conferences, and debates that UDIK organizes in order to get a better insight into the past, as well as to prevent such events in the future.
Oral collection of personal feelings, partially, it is based on methodological principles of verbal interpretation of the past which has been used since its establishment as a new, scientifically accepted method of historical documentation.
Recording oral memories is based on interviews (depending on the age of the interpreter) including the life story of the interpreter: pre-war, war and post-war experience, experience of post war extra judicial executions, years of socialism, political turmoil before the war of the 90s, events during the war…
Storage and processing of the material include:
- Transfer of the video from the camera (or memory card) to an external drive.
- Encoding the video records into the desired format
- Transcript into English Language
- Translation of the transcript into English Language
- Creating Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian and English subtitles
- Mounting video records on ground of the transcript
- Posting the mounted videos on the web page
- Entering the metadata (data about the interpreters) into the internet database